We were founded in the 1840s. From humble beginnings to the dedication of our beautiful and historical building, we have survived as a small and close-knit community in Alpine, NJ.
The Alpine church, dedicated in August, 1871, was designed by J.C. Cady, architect of the Metropolitan Opera House. Cady donated his time to the church after being drawn there while designing a home for Mr. and Mrs. Charles Nordhoff in 1865.
But, the church community existed before their beautiful, permanent home was built; as early as the 1840’s.
For years the Alpine Church was known as “The Christmas Church” after creator of the modern Santa Claus and cartoonist, Thomas Nast, used our beautiful church in the background in his newspaper cartoons and Christmas cards. It also is known for its music program and beautiful choir which used to be under the direction of talented choir director, Merrill Statton.